Stay informed about the Plutus Foundation.
Sign up below to receive more information about the Plutus Foundation as well as the Plutus Awards. Our weekly emails are brief!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I contribute to the Plutus Foundation?
- You can donate by check, automated debit, or credit card. We use PayPal to process online contributions and to manage some monthly recurring contributions. You can also pledge your support with a monthly or quarterly flat contribution or, if you earn a profit from your blog, a percentage of your blog’s profit.
- Who is behind the Plutus Foundation?
- Harlan L. Landes, the founder of personal finance blog Consumerism Commentary and the Plutus Awards, created the Plutus Foundation. Harlan assembled a team of prominent independent financial writers and editors to serve on the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee. Harlan spearheaded several charitable efforts as the owner of Consumerism Commentary, and is now providing a way for the independent financial media to pool charitable resources for the greater good.
- Are my contributions tax-deductible?
- Yes. Your contributions are tax-deductible. The Plutus Foundation is a 501(c)3 community foundation. Our tax ID is 47-3958088.
- How will my contributions be used?
- All contributions are subject to the mission of the Plutus Foundation, which is to provide opportunities for the financial media community to support programs that enhance the financial capability and well-being of citizens of the world. Contributions will go towards the following goals:
- To establish an endowment whereby future projects can be funded by interest earned.
- To fund projects as directed by the steering committee and the Director of Grants and Programs.
- To fund Special Projects from time to time.
- How can I help decide which programs the Foundation supports?
- You may join the steering committee by donating at least $200 per year and expressing your interest.
- I’m a blogger. Can I use the Foundation to support charitable projects with my own audience?
- Yes! We can create a special donation page for you and your readership or listeners. Your community may make a tax-deductible contribution to your cause through the Plutus Foundation, and we will fund your project if it is aligned with the foundation’s mission.
- Where does the name “Plutus” come from?
- Plutus (Πλοῦτος) is the Greek mythological god of wealth.